EXCLUSIVE: Lameck Banda Reluctant to Rejoin Lecce Amid Contract Dispute

EXCLUSIVE: Lameck Banda Reluctant to Rejoin Lecce Amid Contract Dispute
Zambia international Lameck Banda is reportedly unwilling to return to Italian Serie A side Lecce following a dispute over his contract, with sources close to the player claiming he is dissatisfied with how the club handled the extension of his deal.
According to information obtained by Top Zambian Football, the 25-year-old winger is currently in Lusaka despite speculation on social media regarding his whereabouts. Sources allege that Banda has decided against returning to Italy because he believes his contract was extended without his approval.
Disagreement Over Contract Extension
Banda joined Lecce in 2022 on a four-year agreement that reportedly included an option to extend the contract for an additional season.
While the original deal was due to expire on June 30, 2026, Lecce exercised the extension, keeping the winger under contract until June 2027.
However, a source close to the player claims Banda disputes the validity of that extension.
“Lameck feels disappointed with how the situation has been handled. He believes the contract was extended without his agreement, and that has left him frustrated,” the source said.
The same source alleged that Banda believes he was not properly informed about the contractual process and feels he has not been treated fairly by the club.
Different Interpretations of the Agreement
Italian media have reported that Lecce held a unilateral option allowing the club to extend Banda’s contract by one year, an option they are said to have exercised.
However, sources close to the player dispute that interpretation, insisting the extension should have required Banda’s consent.
The source further alleged that the player signed documents written in Italian, a language he does not understand fluently, and now believes he was not fully aware of the contract terms.
These claims have not been independently verified, and Lecce has not publicly responded to the specific allegations.
Claims Over Outstanding Payments
The source also alleged that Banda is still owed one month’s salary as well as match-winning bonuses, claims which are said to have increased the player’s frustration.
According to the source, Banda has also been responsible for covering his own accommodation expenses in Italy.
Lecce has not publicly commented on these financial claims.
Saudi Interest Remains Strong
Meanwhile, reports in Italy suggest Saudi Pro League club Al-Fateh remain interested in signing the Chipolopolo winger.
Italian journalist Pierpaolo Verri of Pianeta Lecce has reported that Al-Fateh submitted an offer believed to be around €2.5 million. However, Lecce are said to value Banda considerably higher, with reports indicating the Italian club wants between €5 million and €7 million before considering a sale.
Future Remains Uncertain
Sources further claim Banda has temporarily cut communication with both his representatives and Lecce as he considers his next move, feeling that his interests have not been adequately protected.
Last week, Lecce announced that they were investigating the winger’s failure to report for pre-season training. The club said Banda had initially cited logistical and administrative difficulties for his delayed return and warned that disciplinary action could follow if the matter remained unresolved.
With the transfer window still open and interest from Saudi Arabia continuing, Banda’s future remains uncertain as the disagreement between the player and his club continues.



